Note: For privacy reasons, living people are not identified in this blog without permission.

Cheers!

Follow This Blog!

Friday, July 30, 2010

Stanly Ranch – Part 1

As I gather information about Michael, Patrick, and Kate Flanagan, I can’t help but stumble across the Stanly's. How infamous were the Stanly’s in the Carneros area of Napa? Where do I begin? I’m not saying that they were good or bad, protagonist or antagonist. They too were making their way in the world of farming, wealth, politics and infamy in the Napa Valley…..plus Oakland and San Francisco. I suppose in sharp contrast to their next door neighbor’s, wealth, politics, and infamy were not very high on the Flanagan’s list. I can’t discount all of those elements completely from the Flanagan’s as they did dabble a bit in those areas too.

I guess it begins with Edward Stanly. Born in North Carolina in 1810, Edward was the son of a congressman, John Stanly, and cousin of a Senator, George E. Badger. He graduated university and law school from Norwich University. As a member of the Whig party, he won the seat in the House of Representatives (1837-1843). While he was a leader in the South, he supported the Union. He did hold offices in the State of North Carolina after he lost re-election in 1843 in the House, only to be re-elected to the house in 1849.

In 1853, Stanly moved west to San Francisco, California to practice law. He ran for governor of California in 1857 but lost. He was appointed by Abraham Lincoln to be military governor of North Carolina with the rank of brigadier general in 1862 but resigned the office in 1863. He apparently did not agree with President Lincoln with regards to the Emancipation Proclamation. At that point, he returned to California.

I have to stop at this point a mention that Edward Stanly’s title at one point was “governor” but not of California. I also need to indicate here that I am getting to Judge John Alexander Stanly but first need to talk about Edward. I did not know about Edward myself. I find it an interesting history lesson. I wonder what Edward was like and what he did not like about the Emancipation Proclamation.

Edward Stanly died on July 12, 1872. He is buried in the Stanly family plot at Mountain View Cemetery in Oakland, California. The house in which he was born in New Bern, North Carolina is apparently a historical site.

So you’re probably wondering if that’s it and what Edward Stanly has to do with the Stanly Ranch in Napa (besides the last name). I am getting to that.

To be continued………………………………………

No comments:

Post a Comment