Note: For privacy reasons, living people are not identified in this blog without permission.

Cheers!

If you would like to be contacted about a comment, you must leave me a way to reach you. Please include your email address. Thank you!

Follow This Blog!

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Napa History

When I research the history of Napa, Napa County, Napa Valley, or Los Carneros, I find a recurring theme. That theme, and I’m not sure how to make this sound polite, is bias. As you can imagine everyone has their own take on history and those who author (or fund) a project do have a say in what is written.

I have my own bias and facts for my personal Napa family history. There’s nothing wrong with that. As an amateur genealogist (but an expert underwriter in my past life), I work hard to “source” my information to establish the facts. History, however, is full of influence by the individual who puts pen to paper, or in this day and age on the web.

So Napa Valley had or has the Wappo Indians, Padre Jose Altamira, Nathan Coombs, Nicholas Higurerra (and really that Mexican Land Grant doled out by General Vallejo), Catholic priests, Tulocay Cemetery and lots of wine.  Let’s not forget my Flanagan’s or the Stanly’s. I’ve also got my Borchers’, Vienop’s, McLaughlin’s and Maxwell’s. As you can see, my Napa history is skewed by my own bias.

Another point that I’d like to make is that the historcal information in Napa is only as plentiful and complete and those who have provided it. When I visit the Napa Valley Biographical and Genealogical Society pages, there are huge holes in the information. Also, I’m not sure that they have the manpower (or womanpower) to review information that is sent their way.

I blog away with my diary about my research available in cyberspace for anyone who wants to read about my version of Napa history and beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment