Note: For privacy reasons, living people are not identified in this blog without permission.

Cheers!

If you would like to be contacted about a comment, you must leave me a way to reach you. Please include your email address. Thank you!

Follow This Blog!

Friday, October 8, 2010

Maria Luise Katharine Vienop - Mary Borchers - My Great Grandmother - Part 2

How amazing is it that I got to know my Great Grandma?  I remember that when I was young my family did mention at times of the long life that my Great Grandma, Mary Borchers, had led.  She lived to be 96 years old.  I was 18 years old when she passed away.  There is certainly longevity in my family line.  I can only hope to live a long life as wonderful as hers.  She was surrounded by loving, wonderful people who cared for her when she could no longer get around really well.  She did live independently at her home well into her late 80s.

I so respect her practical approach to life.  It is a life lesson that should be shared with everyone.  Several years before she passed away, SHE made the decision to sell her home and give her belongings away to her children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren and charity.  She wanted to know where her items of value (even sentimental value) ended up.  What a giving person she was.  She kept only her basic personal affects, sold her home where she had lived for almost 6 decades, and moved in with one of her daughters.  Can you imagine giving away your things when you may have several years of life left?  She did this willingly and without a second thought.  Family and people were what was important to her.  Her things were not her world.  I wish more people could live by this example today.

Back to Mary.....Her father, John Henry Vienop, farmed as his occupation once they were in Nebraska.  He had immigrated from Germany and brought his mother, Anne Marie Ilsabein Gurges Vienop to the USA.  I am amazed by the number of names each person was given.  My mother hushed me once when I attempted to ask my Great Grandmother how many names she had.  Ok, so maybe that was a tacky question by a teenager but it was rather innocent, at the time.  (I wonder if my mother is actually reading this.  I guess I'll find out.)

Much of the information about my Great Grandma that I have are my memories.  I also have some definite, factual information that my great aunt, Mary's daughter, has provided to me.  She is still a living Borchers so I will keep her identity anonymous.  From hence forward, I will be referring to my Great Grandma as Mary Vienop Borchers.

Mary Vienop Borchers could not recall what year her father immigrated from Germany.  By the time they had moved to Daykin, Nebraska, she was one of three children.  Her brothers were Ernest Henry William Vienop and John Henry Vienop, Jr (Henry).  In Daykin, Mary's brother John Henry Ernest (Yes, a different child than John Henry Jr.) was born in 1896.  He died in 1897 at little over 3 months old.  In 1898, Mary's sister Minnie (Anna Christina Minna Vienop) was born.

To be continued............

No comments:

Post a Comment